Hello everyone, my name is Anton Fomenko. I’m 23 years old and I am a 3D hobbyist from Kazakhstan, Almaty city. I became interested in 3D as a hobby in 2015, and am now an intern at the Singularity Lab (It’s cool when work is also a hobby :)). I spend a lot of time looking for interesting concepts and when I have time I try to participate in various “contests”, hehe.
This model was created for the “Wild West” contest on Artstation and one of the concepts I chose was the fantastic concept created by Przemek Gul.
I immediately liked the concept of “iron horse” and I decided to try to recreate it in 3D. In my pipeline, I use Blender (and sometimes a little Zbrush), Substance Painter/Designer and Marmoset, while studying other software, because everything new is cool!
What do you need to create an “iron horse”? Correctly! – an “ordinary horse”, so I started to block one out in Blender.
Having created the basic form, under the Subdivision surface I began to develop the horse on the base section, giving it the desired shape.
To create the tail and reins, I used Blender curves (a lot of monotonous work).
For a saddle blanket I used fast simulation in marvelous designer, and a little of ZBrush for a leather bag.
UV and bake
For this model, I used one set of 4k textures. To save space on UV, more than 30% of the model was mirrored after baking (and I also used Transfer UV map for parts with similar geometry).
For baking the AO and normal maps I used Marmoset (all the other maps I baked in Substance). I created two additional sets of meshes – one for the normal map, the second for AO.
“Some time later”… After a successful baking, I copied the missing parts and put them in a pose so that I could start texturing!
Time for textures!
The textures were created in Substance Painter. At the beginning I represented this horse using different metal for statues – copper / brass / bronze. Eventually I stopped on bronze. (At least I was trying to create bronze).
Below is a brief layering process:
Export, Uploading to Sketchfab
For export, I used the PBR template, with textures in PNG format. When setting up a scene in Sketchfab, I usually start with lighting, choosing the desired lighting setup, and then I switch to post-processing. For this scene I used everything except Tone mapping and Color balance.
What in the end turned out:
I have been using Sketchfab from the very beginning of my acquaintance with 3D and it undoubtedly played a big role in my development as a specialist (and perfectly complements the portfolio). I want to thank the Sketchfab team for their work, and I hope this was useful/interesting to read 🙂