Hi everyone, my name is Janet and I’m the Community & Events Coordinator at Looking Glass Factory. One of the best parts of my job is getting to build communities around the world by curating live and satellite events that highlight all the incredible magic going on in our 3D creator community.
UPDATE: Winner – Robot Playground by Hadrien59
To see what the judges had to say about the winning entry, check out the Forum!
That’s why I’m really excited to announce the Looking Glass 3D Model Importer Challenge that we’re launching together with the community at Sketchfab.
Your task: create a ‘Sci-Fi Hologram’ model for the Looking Glass 3D Model Importer and upload it with the tag #LookingGlassImporterChallenge. See the ‘Rules’ section for technical requirements. You can win the actual Looking Glass device, priced at $599.
The 3D Model Importer is an Application we made here at Looking Glass Factory that allows 3D creators to easily import different types of 3D content into the Looking Glass. It’s one of the many tools made available to our community via the Looking Glass Library.
When you open the 3D Model Importer as it is right now, you’re greeted by a very plain, blue 3D cube. That’s where you come in. In fact, we want that to be your 3D model instead! The winner of the 3D Model Importer Competition will have their 3D model load as the default model in the application (used by thousands of 3D creators around the world!). In addition, the creator will be credited in both the default model loader and the Library description.
Oh and best part? If your 3D model is chosen, you will also receive a Standard Looking Glass, on us!
The theme of this challenge is: Holograms of the Future.
A small note: because the winner’s submission will be the default model for the 3D Model Importer, it should load fast. For this competition, we’re asking that models be more lightweight than the 3D Model Importer can typically handle to ensure that it loads quickly. (Importer Reference and Guide)
Can’t wait to see what y’all come up with!
- Create a ‘Sci-fi Hologram’ model.
- Entrants must be 13 years of age or older.
- Entrants must submit their model(s) by uploading to Sketchfab and using the hashtag #LookingGlassImporterChallenge
- Please note that models must:
- Be formatted as either .obj or .gltf
- 100k poly count, or lower
- Must contain no more than 10 materials
- Must be downloadable
- Multiple submissions are permitted.
- Submit only new work, but feel free to submit multiple scenes.
- Share work-in-progress, tips and ask for advice on the challenge thread in the forum!
- The prize is one Standard Looking Glass, valued at $599 USD.
- The submission deadline is Monday, May 20th, 2019 (23:59 EDT).
- Winner will be announced in the Sketchfab forum for the contest on May 24th.
- Winner will also be spotlighted in the Looking Glass Factory newsletter, the Hologram Herald.
- Janet Katsnelson and the team at Looking Glass Factory
- Bart and Tom, Sketchfab Community Team
- Rik van den Biggelaar and Mieke Roth, Sketchfab Masters
- One Looking Glass holographic display. Shipping limitations apply (see Terms and Conditions).
- 3 months of Sketchfab PRO.
Terms and Conditions
- No entry fee and no purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the Terms and Conditions.
- This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
- The models submitted must be original works by the entrant.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab and Looking Glass Factory employees or their families.
- The judges’ decisions are final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Contestants are not eligible to receive prizes if they are on the US Specifically Designated Nationals (SDN) list or if there are sanctions against the contestant’s country such that Looking Glass and Sketchfab are prohibited from paying them.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestants’ models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #LookingGlassImporterChallenge to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winner and winning entry may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winning entry will be used in the Model Importer Application for up to or more than one month and in other promotional materials as Looking Glass Factory sees fit.
- Winner will receive a Standard Looking Glass, valued at $599 USD.
- The winner will be contacted by Friday, May 24, 2019.
- Looking Glass Factory also reserves the right to cancel the competition if circumstances arise outside of its control.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.
- Sponsor: Looking Glass Factory Inc, located at 95 Commercial Street Brooklyn, NY