Share your culture and traditions in 3D with this week’s photogrammetry challenge, sponsored by CapturingReality. Whether it’s your culture and traditions or somebody else’s, select something that tells a story.
UPDATE: Winner – Chinese censer by Giebel
- To enter, just take photos of your chosen object, process them in RealityCapture, upload your model to Sketchfab using RealityCapture’s built-in exporter, and tag it #CultureScanningChallenge.
- The twist this time around is that you must optimize your model using RealityCapture’s automatic simplification and normal map baking process. Just follow these steps.
- To help you on your way, CapturingReality is giving each entrant 20 EUR RealityCapture PPI credits to enter! Read on for more details.
How to apply for your RealityCapture PPI Credits
- Use this form to submit:
- A link to your Sketchfab profile.
- The email registered to your Sketchfab profile.
- A description of the cultural object you intend to scan.
- You will receive your redeem code via email within 2 business days.
- Log in to your existing CapturingReality account or register for a new CapturingReality account. Then redeem your code at capturingreality.com/my.redeem.
- Scan your cultural or traditional item and use RealityCapture to process the model. Download the free version here, beginner’s video guide here.
- Important: Use the built-in Sketchfab uploader when posting your entry to give your model the ‘Uploaded with RealityCapture exporter’ badge. ⚠ Be sure to choose “Mesh Quality – LOW” to trigger the automatic normal map creation:
- Submit only new work, but feel free to submit multiple scenes.
- Once you’ve created your scene, upload it to Sketchfab using the Sketchfab Uploader within RealityCapture, tag it #CultureScanningChallenge.
- DEADLINE EXTENDED Submission deadline is
Tuesday, October 19, Monday, October 26, 2020 (23:59 New York time – EDT)
Entries will be judged on quality, creativity, level of difficulty, presentation, adherence to the challenge theme, and suitability for real-time.
- Jana Budosova, CapturingReality
- Mieke Roth, Geoffrey Marchal, and Phil Gosch, Sketchfab Masters
- Tom, Bart, and Abby Sketchfab Community Team
- 200 EUR of RealityCapture PPI credits
- $100 Amazon gift card (or equivalent if you don’t have access to Amazon)
- 6 months of Sketchfab Plus to your account
Terms and Conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
- This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
- No ripping of models from anywhere on the Internet, all entries must be original works.
- The judges’ decisions are final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestant’s models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #CultureScanningChallenge to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winners will be contacted by Friday, October 23, 2020.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.