With the new LiDAR scanning functionality of the iPhone 12 Pro and the proliferation of apps that help you upload your scans directly to Sketchfab, we want to see what you can do with iOS LiDAR. This week we challenge you to scan street art (murals, graffiti, statues, etc.) using the iOS LiDAR sensor on your iPhone 12 Pro or iPad Pro, upload the model to Sketchfab, and tag it #LidarScanChallenge.
UPDATE: Winner – Aemo / Titan Stairwell – Progress by KyCAD IT
We were so blown away by your scans that we’ve decided to award three more prizes to three runners up:
Day 27 – Staircase by smallfly
SF Street Art 26 – 24th & York Mini Park by edemaistre
Pottergate Underpass Graffiti, Norwich by LWickwar
To see what the judges had to say about the winning entry, head over to the Sketchfab Forum. To see all the challenge entries, check out the tag gallery.
LiDAR Scanning Apps
LiDAR scanning apps with direct upload to Sketchfab:
- Scan one or more examples of street art using the iOS LiDAR feature on the iPhone 12 Pro or iPad Pro (2020).
- Upload your model to Sketchfab.
- Once you’ve created and uploaded your scene to Sketchfab, tag it #LidarScanChallenge.
- Submit only new work, but feel free to submit multiple scenes.
- Submission deadline is Monday, February 1 (23:59 New York time – EST)
Entries will be judged on quality, creativity, presentation, adherence to the challenge theme, and suitability for real-time.
- Alban, Co-founder and CEO of Sketchfab
- Mieke Roth, Renafox, and Geoffrey Marchal, Sketchfab Masters
- Tom, Bart, and Abby, Sketchfab Community Team
The winner will receive:
- $100 Apple gift card
- 6 Months of Sketchfab Plus
Terms and Conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
- This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
- No ripping of models from anywhere on the Internet, all entries must be original works.
- The judges’ decisions are final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestant’s models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #LidarScanChallenge to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winners will be contacted by Friday, February 5, 2020.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.