It’s like the old saying goes: the sum is greater than the parts. Let this be your motto as you kitbash your way through our latest sponsored VR Challenge…
We have again joined forces with the Oculus™️ Medium team! We’re challenging you to kitbash a model using Oculus Medium in VR. Participate and you can win an Oculus Sensor (great for a 3-sensor setup for full room-scale VR!) and a set of Oculus Earbuds.
UPDATE: 3rd Place – Bacteriophage #1 by alecz1k
2nd Place – Mecha Kong by rinse
1st Place – Vehicle from 3D my Graphic Novel by spiraloid
TL;DR: Kitbash a model in Oculus Medium, upload it to Sketchfab, and tag it #OculusKitbashChallenge.
- Use Oculus Medium to kitbash a model. We have collected some useful stamps for you, but feel free to use anything else too,
- Submit only new work, but feel free to submit multiple scenes.
- Once you’ve created your scene, upload it to Sketchfab and tag it #OculusKitbashChallenge.
- Share work-in-progress, tips and ask for advice on the challenge topic in the forum!
- Submission deadline is Monday, November 19th (23:59 New York time – EST)
The Oculus Medium team is providing the following prizes:
- 1st prize – Oculus Sensor + Earbuds
- 2nd prize – Oculus Sensor
- 3rd prize – Earbuds
And of course we’ll provide all winners with 3 months of Sketchfab PRO and a chance to be staff picked!
Tips and Tutorials
- With Oculus Medium’s latest update, you can now mass-import stamps: Asset Browser multi-select importing for meshes and images – Hold down your support hand trigger while selecting multiple assets in the browser to import more than one asset at a time. This is perfect for importing multiple of your own stamps, or download more free stamps from the Sketchfab community!
- How to import colored stamps
- Making your own Destructoid Stamps
- Modelmaking toys with Virtual Reality Sculpting
- Creature kitbashing
- Mech kitbashing
- Tomorrow Not Gud 2
Publishing your Oculus Medium model to Sketchfab
Sketchfab Master Vlad gives a short summary of how you can bring your VR artwork from Oculus Medium to Sketchfab and share them with the world.
Exporting from Oculus Medium and uploading to Sketchfab takes only a few clicks thanks to the intuitive interfaces of both platforms.
- On your support hand controller hold down the yellow menu button, select “File” then and select the “Export” option.
- In the export menu from, you can tweak some settings and decide on the output format.
- Oculus Medium gives you the option to reduce the poly count before generating an .fbx or.obj from your sculpt. Use the slider or the percentage buttons to decide on a decimation level. Try to keep a balance between level of detail and poly count so the file is performant and lightweight on your target platform. If you want your model to be displayed with Sketchfab’s AR viewer it is recommended to keep poly count to a minimum.
- Your FBX or OBJ file will be saved to your Oculus Medium folder: Documents/Medium/Sculpts/User/the recent sculpt
- Go to Sketchfab.com and hit the upload button, select your file and wait for the Sketchfab servers to do their magic!
Terms and Conditions
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
- This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
- No alternative prizes available. The prize draw is not open to Sketchfab employees or their families.
- No ripping of models from anywhere on the Internet, all entries must be original works.
- The judges’ decision are final – in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winning entries will be documented and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Contestants’ models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #OculusKitbashChallenge to be considered.
- Winners retain all Intellectual Property as per Sketchfab standard Terms and Conditions.
- Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- The winners will be contacted by Friday, November 23.
- Promoter: Sketchfab Inc, 1123 Broadway, Suite 501, New York, NY 10010, USA.