HDR environments can have a dramatic impact on your scene: they accurately capture the lighting conditions of a certain location, and project them back onto your models. This makes the model’s lighting blend in seamlessly with its environment.
Sketchfab already offers list of pre-programmed environments but we know artists want the freedom to upload their own. Well we have good news for you: all Sketchfab PRO and Business users can now upload custom HDR environments. Maybe you need specific studio lighting setup, or a space environment for your sci-fi scene? With a custom HDR environment that’s no problem!
Some technical details:
- We support .hdr and .exr files.
- Maximum file size is 50MB.
- This works especially well with our PBR renderer.
If you don’t have Sketchfab PRO yet, then don’t worry: there are several ways you can get a free PRO account:
- By using our referral program. Refer 5 friends and you’ll receive one year of Sketchfab PRO!
- If you’re a student or a teacher you can apply for a free Educational PRO account.
- And finally, you should consider joining our Heroic Voxels contest! By participating you’ll get a free month of Sketchfab PRO (but we’ll expect a cool entry, of course 😉
Bonus tip: you can rotate the HDR environments in real time by holding down the ALT button and left-dragging your mouse. It’ll give you a good sense of what the environments do!