The Elephantine Ostraca of Houghton Library3D Models

31
-
3

In 1877-1878, Henry Williamson Haynes, a Harvard graduate and a professor of Greek and Latin, traveled to Egypt and discovered several ostraca on an island in the southernmost part of Egypt called Elephantine. They first came from the Nile to the Charles to the Fogg Museum at Harvard, and finally to the Houghton Library after his death in 1912.  

The ostraca found on Elephantine not only preserve information about the daily life on the island, but also show us its uniqueness as a multicultural society.

This virtual collection was created with the help of Andréa Takantjas, Julia V. Puglisi, and Hilo Sugita, under Prof. Dr. Verena Lepper, ERC-Grant-Principal Investigator ELEPHANTINE (StG), and Curator for Egyptian and Oriental Papyri at the Ägyptisches Museum und Papyrussammlung, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz.

These models were generated with an Artec Space Spider 3D Scanner by Julia V. Puglisi, graduate student in Egyptology at Harvard University.