Southwest Gate complex
The remains of the Southwest Gate were first seen and described in 1979 but the entire plan was only uncovered in 2010. The original city wall approaches from the east, covered in places by later buildings. The gate itself, constructed by 950 AD, is similar to all other gates excavated along the seashore and consists of a massive foundation upon which three courses of the original gate can be seen. The external doorway threshold block is visible, probably set between two massive leaves of a formal door. A bent-axis approach leads to an inner doorway. This path connects the gate to the husn in the distance as well as a number of warehouses just inside the western city wall. The city wall running west is partially obscured by a later massive building, built by 1100 AD, which covers any extensions of the gate itself. In the latest phase (1400-1500 AD), a mosque was built over the earlier formal building. The city wall turns almost immediately south for some thirty m. to a large circular bastion/tower.