Loading 3D model
Somme American Chapel
Architect George Howe designed this adaptation of a Romanesque chapel. The American Battle Monuments Commission requested that he included windows to add light within based on a Roman-Christian tradition. Sculpted panels of World War One era weapons along with two eagles enhance the exterior. You enter the chapel through a bronze door. Above the altar is a large cross-shaped window providing illumination to the interior. Soft light enters from small purple-toned inlaid glass side windows that feature the insignias of many divisions of the American Expeditionary Forces. The interior walls of white stone list the names of 333 American soldiers missing in action in operations north of Paris. American flags are placed above the door and on both sides of the altar, with flags of some of the combat branches that took part in the battle. The chapel and cemetery were dedicated May 30, 1937.
CC Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike CC Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
Author must be credited. No commercial use. Modified versions must have the same license.more info