Al Baleed Citadel, West Gate and Grand Mosque
The large imposing mound now cleared of external debris is the citadel/husn and was the target of excavations between 1997-2007. Now slightly higher than 13 m., visible from the southern side are the semi-attached corner bastions and the southern gate in the center. The towers and gate belong to the latest phase of the city (1500 AD). The latter has a bent-axis configuration leading internally to a very large staircase. Internal excavations revealed a central courtyard surrounded by suites of rooms. Probably originally over four stories high, the building represents the home and ruling center of the Sultan. Clearly visible on the southern side, are massive blocks of the earliest city, ca. 950 AD. An earlier Iron Age settlement lies under the husn.