Cannon 6024, Bamburgh Castle
Wessex Archaeology was commissioned by English Heritage (now Historic England) to undertake an Undesignated Site Assessment of the wreck site located at Gun Rock, Outer Farne Islands. WA worked with local BSAC branch (Tyneside 114), and to conduct a photographic, acoustic and measured survey of the site. Diving was conducted between 28 August to 5 September 2013. The results of the survey have been written up as Gun Rock Wreck, Farne Islands Undesignated Site Assessment Ref 83803.12, November 2013.
This cannon was raised from the Gun Rock wreck site in 1744 along with a bronze cannon and is now on display on a modern gun cart at Bamburgh Castle. For some reason by the late 19th century, the identity of the Gun Rock wreck had changed from being of Dutch origin to being associated with the Spanish Armada (Bates 1894). This story was incorporated into the interpretation of the Bamburgh Cannon (6024) and has only recently been refuted by further research. This is now known to be a Dutch 8 pounder.