Loading 3D model
Kestrel wreck, Faversham
The Kestrel was a 36 ton (110 gross ton) wooden spritsail sailing barge that was built in Halstow by Ambrose Letley in 1896. It was owned by Eastwoods, a brick making firm operating in the 19th and 20th centuries, situated in Conyer Creek, off the Swale near Faversham, Kent. In 1948, it became a mud lighter and was abandoned in 1953 on the east bank of Conyer Creek in the intertidal zone. The Kestrel is an example of an important regional vessel type of the 19th and early 20th centuries, popularly known as the Thames Sailing Barge. For more details see our website.