Port Arthur Penitentiary Laundry-1854-77 (2)
Begun in 1854, the Port Arthur Penitentiary was designed to accommodate over 480 convicts. Converted from a Flour Mill and Granary, the building contained both separate cells and an open plan dormitory.
As part of the conversion, an area at the rear of the building was given over to an ablutions block, exercise yards, stores and laundry. This model is of the Laundry area, at the end of a two month excavation carried out by Port Arthur’s archaeologists. The model shows the sandstone footings of the building, which, in addition to the Laundry space, housed stores, a wash block, boiler room and bathing area. Also visible are drains and surfaces which were inside the building.
For a model of the Laundry at an earlier stage of excavation see: https://skfb.ly/Z8WU
Model by: Peter Rigozzi