Loading 3D model
The HMS Vanguard built in September 1870 by Laird, Son & Co. in Birkenhead, England was one of the four 6034-ton Audacious class central battery ironclad battleships. The vessel measured 104 m long and 16 m across. On 1st September 1875 the HMS Vanguard was en route from Dublin to Queenstown with six other battleships, when the formation encountered fog, and she was rammed by its sister ship, the HMS Iron Duke. She now lies on her starboard side in 45m water depth.
This wreck was surveyed as part of a collaborative project between INFOMAR and the University of Ulster.