Loading 3D model
GAVAUDUN | FORTERESSE
Gavaudun Fortress is a castle in the village of Gavaudun on the river Lède, near the Périgord noir region. It was built on a rocky spur and overhangs the river.
« The Gavaudan castle is now a ruin that reminds the traveler of the times when it was guarding the passage between the Perigord and Agen regions. The castle was initially built in the 11th century and was inhabited in the 12th century by the Henriciens - a group of heretics called this way after their leader Henri l’Ermite. To eradicate this heresy the bishop of Perigueux Jean d’Assida besieged the castle and after taking it in 1165 gave the order of its destruction. In 1314 Alsmunstang de Valens rebuilt the castle and added the 21m high donjon. »
Lot-et-Garonne, Nouvelle-Aquitaine, Occitanie, France.