Oise-Aisne American Cemetery Chapel
It was architect Ralph Adams Cram who designed this pink and gray sandstone Romanesque memorial. He meant it to be in peaceful harmony with the landscape and cemetery. Its semi-circular form provides a view of the cemetery and surrounding countryside. High on each front wall is a frieze displaying a shield with the insignia of each of the branches of the Army. Below each frieze is the United States’ Coat of Arms. In the four medallions above the center columns, the modern soldier is contrasted with a medieval Crusader.
An altar of Algerian Onyx is inset with two panels of Rocheret Jaune marble. Engraved on the wall are the names of 241 American soldiers missing from the Oise-Aisne and Aisne-Marne offensives.
To the right of the peristyle is the Map Room, detailing the advance of American Expeditionary Forces that fought during the Oise-Aisne Offensive. The chapel was completed in 1930.