Loading 3D model
The Headless Cross - Grimeford Village
Grimeford Village, Lancashire
The Headless Cross, also known locally as the ‘Headless Boggart’ is comprised of a section of anglo-saxon standing cross carved from local sandstone and a 17th century slab used as a direction stone, stating various local destinations: ‘WIGGAN’ (Wigan), ‘BOULTON’ (Bolton), PRESTON and BLAGBURN (Blackburn).
There is a hole and other markings upon the top which suggest this direction stone also had use as a sundial.
It is believed that the cross was originally sited in the area as a wayside cross marking the medieval route between Fulford and the path which crossed Rascahay Brook, between Heath Charnock and Adlington, referred to in a medieval document printed in the Chartulary of Cockersands Abbey dated c.1184-1190.
The upper portion of the Cross is currently on display in the Harris Museum, Preston.
English Heritage Listing: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1009496