The coffin ensemble of Taditjaina consists of an outer coffin (inventory no. 150a; approx. 76 x 193 x 73 cm) and an inner one (inventory no. 150b; approx. 43 x 173 x 48 cm). They are possibly from the Theban necropolis, and date back to the beginning of the 26th Dynasty (approx. 664–525 B.C.). Both coffins perfectly fit into one another. The two coffins and the mummy of lady Taditjaina were a gift to the Württembergian royal house from the German consul to Alexandria, Mr. von Dumreicher, between 1820 and 1830. They were later given to the University of Tübingen in 1911. The wooden coffins are white stuccoed, and have polychrome scenes, painted red, black, blue, dark green and yellow. The inscriptions of the coffins contain various scenes and texts from the ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead—a guide for the afterlife. The texts should guarantee the continued existence and provision of Taditjaina, the lady of the house, the noble one, in the Netherworld.
(inventory no. 150a–b)
CC Attribution-NonCommercialCreative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial