Eastern Aberlady Bay X-Craft wreckYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
A 3d model of a WW2 mini-submarine wreck known as an x-craft, used by the Royal Navy in raids such as that on the Tirpitz. These wrecks are of XT (training) versions and were towed to Aberlady Bay, East Lothian to be used as gunnery test targets by the RAF in 1946 https://canmore.org.uk/site/114354/unknown-x-craft-aberlady-bay-firth-of-forth. The easternmost wreck is lying on its port side, with its bow to the north-east. The remains are more degraded than the western wreck, with much of the outer shell and some of the ribs entirely missing. The three hatches are still in place, and the remains of the Gardner engine (also used in London Buses) can be seen towards the stern. The model was made following a full photo survey of the wreck completed between Wessex Archaeology specialists and military veterans as part of a Heritage Lottery funded project to assist veterans isolated by the effects of Covid-19. Further research projects completed by the veterans will be developed out of this work.