Half of a twin capital with interlaceYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
The presented capital is one of seven halves of twin capitals found by archaeologists over the years 1947–1953 during the reconstruction works in the eastern wing of the monastery.
The head is considered to be one of the best examples of Romanesque masonry in Poland. It comes from the first monastic foundation in Tyniec. However, researchers do not agree whether the twin capitals were originally located in the church or in the cloisters.
The capital is shaped like a truncated pyramid turned upside down. The surface of the head is covered with an interlace decoration in the form of a thick ribbon that turns into a plant motif. On one side of the capital there are three rows of thick, fleshy leaves pointing upwards.
4th quarter of the 11th century, Tyniec
Museum of the Benedictine Abbey in Tyniec
Inventory number: DA/170/2012