Sculpted lioness head, c.1270–1320Your model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
This lioness head comes from the tomb of an important but unknown man who was buried at Hailes Abbey. It was found together with fragments from the effigy of a knight, including an arm in chainmail. The style of the pieces dates the tomb to the time when the abbey’s founder, Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall (son of King John and brother of Henry III) and two of his sons were buried at Hailes. Lions and other animals often appear as ornamental foot rests in tombs of this period. This beautiful sculpture bears traces of a dark red pigment around its ears, hinting at the bright paint that originally enhanced the effigy.
Visit the English Heritage website to learn more about Hailes Abbey.