Skiddy's AlmshouseYour model is disabled. For more details go to Edit properties3D Model
Skiddy’s Almshouse is the oldest inhabited building in the city of Cork. It was built in 1718 and finished in 1719.
It was the second almshouse built using a bequest from Stephen Skiddy for the city’s poor, either Catholic or Church of Ireland. Built on a corner of the medieval Saint Mary’s Churchyard, the building was once part of a campus including the Green Coat Hospital and School. The other buildings were demolished in the 1950s. The Almshouse was saved from demolition in the 1960s with restoration completed in 1975. A second restoration was completed in 2005. Skiddy’s Almshouse is now one of the very few surviving eighteenth-century institutional buildings in Cork.The restoration of this building in 2005 won the contractor the RIAI Europa Nostra Award for the work.
The Almshouse is an L-shaped building with a stone arcade enclosed by a ten-foot wall and a large iron gate. As of 2011, it housed 15 people.
Information sourced from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skiddy’s_Almshouse