Loading 3D model
Stone Lion (The Boskins, Tarleton) 3D Model
Stone Lion - The Boskins, Tarleton
This statue is one of 4 lion’s and 2 sphinxes which were installed on Lion’s Bridge. a former Georgian folly and functional bridge on the formal approach to Atherton Hall in Leigh. Following the demolition of Atherton Hall in 1824, Lion’s Bridge became a much loved local beauty spot, continuing after the bridge’s collapse believed to be in the 1890’s.
The lion can be pictured here in this photograph prior to collapse, indicated with the red arrow:
Believed to be made from Coade Stone, this particular statue is less damaged and weathered than it’s counterpart, however has had some recent conservation efforts including chemical cleaning and some sand and cement restoration to the base in between the paws.
Atherton Hall: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atherton_Hall,_Leigh
3D Scan generated from on-site photogrammetry data by Lee Robert McStein