Loading 3D model
Situated near Carn Galva in West Cornwall, this standing stone has an inscription on its north face. This is usually read as ‘RIALOBRANI CVNOVALI FILI’, which has been translated as ‘Rialobranus son of Cunovalus’. The inscription is thought to date to the 5th- 8th centuries, but the stone is possibly a re-used prehistoric standing stone. It now stands about 1.7m tall, but was recorded as 9 ft 10 inches long (2.99m) in 1769 when the stone lay flat on the ground. This would mean that about 1.2m of the stone is now buried. For more information see Pastscape 423713.