Fontana di Pianoscarano - Viterbo Italy
The present fountain was built to replace the original fountain that was destroyed in 1376 by the command of Pope Urbano V. This was the result of an incident that occurred involving this fountain and the papal party returning from Avignon. A local woman objected when a servant of one of the cardinals decided to wash his dog in the fountain thereby polluting the drinkable water. A fight ensued during which the woman was killed and the pope subsequently punished the locals by destroying their fountain. The present fountain of Pianoscarano was built in 1376 replacing the original one. This fountain is also decorated with lions, the symbol of Viterbo.
coordinates: 42°24‘45.5”N 12°06‘12.7”E
photogrammetry: 107 photos - 35mm lens