Loading 3D model
Records indicate that this stone slab was originally identified at the foundation wall of the parish church which was demolished in 1801. Later, in 1893, the stone was unearthed when a grave was being opened in the churchyard, and it is now on display in this museum. It is clearly part of a much larger stone.
On one face of the stone there is a very simple cross shaft, carved in high relief. It has been broken at the semi-circular hollows, which may have been where the shaft joined the arms. There is no ornamentation visible on this side of the stone, except an incised line mirroring the shape of the shaft. Records from 1893 indicate however that at that time there was clear evidence of tracery near the hollows. This has since weathered away.
The other side of the stone has a considerable amount of incised detail which is now faint and difficult to identify. A variety of interpretations of the markings have been made at different times: a possible cross shaft; key pattern; interlace; and ogham.