We are pleased to announce that SimLab VR Studio, a tool for creating interactive VR experiences, now supports the import of free Sketchfab models into VR scenes as well as the export of models to Sketchfab.
VR Studio allows users to create everything from simple VR walkthroughs to advanced vocational training without prior knowledge of coding. Users can import any of the over 800,000 Creative Commons-licensed models available on Sketchfab directly into the app. They can also seamlessly upload their 3D creations to Sketchfab without having to leave the program. VR Studio runs on Windows and Mac.
How to import models into SimLab VR Studio from Sketchfab
- Within the VR Studio app, select the Sketchfab icon from the ‘Libraries’ tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Search for the type of model that you are looking for using the Search Models box on the right hand side of the screen above the model thumbnails.
- Click on the model that you want to import and, once you have logged in, click Import Model on the pop-up that appears.
- Move, rotate, and scale your imported model to fit in your scene.
How to export models from SimLab VR Studio to Sketchfab
- Within VR Studio, click on File > Publish and then click on the Sketchfab logo that appears in the ‘Select Cloud Exporter’ popup.
- You will be asked to grant SimLab Composer permissions to list and display your models, and upload and update models and modify your profile. Accept to continue or Cancel to go back.
- Fill in the relevant fields in the Export to Sketchfab popup. These details will appear on your published model page. Once everything is filled in, select OK. Your model will upload as a draft; you will need to log in to Sketchfab to adjust 3D Editor settings and publish the model.
- Once the model has uploaded, you can either copy the URL that SimLab Composer provides and paste it into your browser, or navigate to Sketchfab and view your uploads.